Sunday, October 7, 2007

Tin Star - 10/07/07

I had lunch today at a place in Plano, TX called the Tin Star. It had been recommended by some folks we had met at another local restaurant about a week ago. I had really been looking forward to trying it since it had been so highly recommended. I walked in without any idea of what to expect. It was an "order at the counter, take a number, and they bring the food" kind of place. That's not a bad format. I had seen a big sign by the front door promoting their Brunch. No one was in line ahead of me, so I paused to survey the menu to find this "Brunch" since no typical brunch line was obvious. A little flyer showed a Brunch menu of Soft Taco's of the breakfast variety. I asked at the counter about the Brunch and the young lady taking my order looked at me like I had horns. She apparently had no clue. She began describing the regular menu to me that was on the board above her head. I told her I could read that menu, what were the Brunch offerings? Again, blank stare! OK, give me a Chicken Fried Steak, no mashed potatoes, and Oh, what are my side choices? I finally settled on French Fries and Spinach.

Took my drink cup and met with a confusing choice of "Stuff" at the drink machines. There was salsa of three or four varieties, along with the usual silverware, ice and drinks. I finally figured out by observation that in a rather generic looking Stainless steel box that there were chips for the salsa. OK, tried a couple of the salsas. Excellent! I loved them. The chips were very crisp and tender. Hey, this is looking up! Grabbed the appropriate utensils and sat down and enjoyed the appetizer chips! Great flavors and texture. The salsa was light with that good "clingy" texture. I still have not figured out how one restaurant's salsa can have the apparent texture as one next door and one will drip all over you and the other is nice and clingy and doesn't spill on the table or worse, your shirt! This was the clingy variety and had a wonderful blend of flavors!

Then the CFS came! It looked really good. The Fries looked good and were spiced will but were rather generic. The spinach was fabulous. It was on a side dish and had been wilted by a hot dressing poured lightly over it. Great! Never had better spinach! (I don't ever recall enjoying spinach before! I'm amazed that I'm impressed by it!) If you come to Tin Star, get spinach as one of your sides!!

The CFS - another story! In spite of it's great looks, it was heavy and clammy! Worse, the breading, or batter, came separated from the meat when you cut into it! My impression is that of eating a piece of wet carpet wrapped around the thin meat. That is almost unforgivable in Texas!! I might expect a CFS attempt in some other part of the country to be this bad, but NOT IN TEXAS!!!! Even the flavors in it were HEAVY! The ubiquitous white gravy was served in a small cup on the side not poured over the steak! That just ain't right!!! Gravy was thin, not full bodied like I have been led to expect. And what's up with those green peppers in the gravy?? Is this gravy, or a bad attempt at creating a culinary sub-culture??

Overall, this ranks as a "Don't think I'll bother!" again since I had a much less than favorable first impression. Other items may be great! I may be missing a good thing by not returning!!

2 comments:

Bill Johnson said...

Hello Sharon - Bill Johnson in Pittsfield Maine trying to contact you. I just saw your note today (the 15th) about your mom. My number is (207)838-6380. I can't seem to find another way to track you down quickly other than this.

Bill Johnson said...

Hello Sharon - Bill Johnson in Pittsfield Maine trying to contact you. I just saw your note today (the 15th) about your mom. My number is (207)838-6380. I can't seem to find another way to track you down quickly other than this.